Come enjoy a fun evening with your family and friends. Play a variety of board and card games that are fun, competitive and educational in nature. Local board game players will loan their personal games for play, plus teach and coordinate game playing. Bring games from home to share as well. Gator Games of San Mateo has donated a number of games that will be given out as prizes throughout the evening. (Gator Games discount coupons will be available to those in attendance.)
New this year, we'll have a few new games/events:
- Werewolf -- A live action party game -- Click here to learn more
- Giant Jenga
- Other group games
We are having our annual San Carlos City-Wide Roshambo Contest (Rock, Paper, Scissors), with finals during Family Game Night. The event started in 2012. Both "at-large" finalists and school champions will participate in the finals. Prizes will be awarded. If you are interested in participating in the "at-large" division just come along to Family Game Night and sign-up. Everyone can play -- Kindergarten and above.Rules:
- You and your opponent make a fist with one hand and tap it three times on the fist of the other hand (or another hard surface).
- You and your opponent should both count the strokes out loud.
- On the third tap you and your opponent should both make or “throw” your characterizations of either ROCK, PAPER, or SCISSORS very distinctly, at the exact same time, so there is absolutely no mistake what you threw.
- Winner is awarded 1 point for the winning throw. (Rock dulls/beats scissors, paper covers/beats rock, scissors cuts/beats paper.)
- If you and your opponent “throw” the same character, no points are awarded--try again.
- A player must win two out of three throws to win a game and two games to win the match.
- 1818.January.SaturdayPulgas Ridge Open Space Preserve166 Edmonds Rd, Redwood City, CA 94062, USA
- 1919.January.SundaySan Carlos LibrarySan Carlos Library, Elm Street, San Carlos, CA, USACome celebrate San Carlos' Week of the Family here at the library! This year's event is Happy Birds. The birds' performance is fast-paced and upbeat, and they incorporate more than 25 amazing tricks into the show. Some of the parrots even talk! All ages welcome, but the performance is geared towards K-5th grade.
- 1919.January.SundaySan Carlos Youth Center Gym1001 Chestnut St, San Carlos, CA 94070, USA
Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in the United States. Pickleball is a fun and exciting sport that combines elements of Badminton, Tennis and Ping Pong. It is played on a court the size of a Badminton court, with a low net similar to Tennis, and with what looks like an oversized ping pong paddle and a whiffle ball.
Click here to see the rules.
- 4 to 5 pm: Come learn how to play the game from experienced pickleball players and Parks and Recreation Department Staff
- 5 to 6 pm: Practice what you have learned with some fun games
- Come anytime between 4 and 6 pm for a great time!
- Your Family--we have all of the equipment you need
- Sponsored by: the San Carlos Parks and Recreation Department and the Parks and Recreation Foundation of San Carlos.
- 2020.January.MondayAll Over TownSan Carlos, CA 94070, USASince its inception in 1999, the Week of the Family Committee has designated the Monday evening of the week as a night reserved for families to stay at home and do something specifically with their family. It is hoped that reserving one night per week will become habit-forming. To show their support, San Carlos principals have historically declared Monday, as a "No Homework" night.Family Activity Night is for everyone. You are encouraged to “adopt” friends and neighbors who would enjoy an evening of family activities.Ideas for things to do as a family:
- Play board or card games
- Get out the family photo album
- Make up a play or story
- Make dinner—everyone contributes a dish
- Make a family calendar
- Read a book aloud (book lists are available at the library)
- Write letters to grandparents or other family members
- Draw or paint a picture
- Learn how to use a compass
- Pull out your old records, tapes, CDs, then listen to and discuss music
- Tell stories from your family history
- Go to the library
- Bake bread
- Start a family journal
- 2020.January.MondayArbor Bay SchoolArbor Bay School, 1017 Cedar Street, San Carlos, CAThis event is a series of service projects on Martin Luther King day. Families can work together to support the community. Most activities do not require registration. All ages welcome!
- 10:00 AM - Noon
- Painting Pots and Planting for Local SeniorsClick to register so we can order the proper planting supplies. RegisterWe'll be distributing plants to seniors at the Elms on Monday, January 26 at 10AM.
- Diaper Drive (Sizes 4, 5, 6 preferred)
- Clothing DriveDiapers and clothes will be distributed through Samaritan House.
- 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- Prepare and Pack Lunches
- Prepare and Pack Toiletry KitsLunches and toiletry kits will be distributed through LifeMoves.
- 10:00 AM - Noon
- 2121.January.TuesdaySan Carlos ElmsSan Carlos Elms, Elm Street, San Carlos, CA, United States
Calling all Middle School kids! Come down with your family and spend an evening with the residents of The Elms. Many fun activities including making Valentines cards for veterans, reading or playing games with the residents, and making lunches for the homeless. Feel free to bring your favorite short story to read.
Sign up at Central or Tierra Linda.
- 2121.January.TuesdaySan Carlos LibrarySan Carlos Library, Elm Street, San Carlos, CA, United StatesCome and get started learning about where your family came from (genealogy) and where they went along the way. 20 Million people have connected to a deeper Family Story already.To make the research for an ancestor a bit easier, please bring as much information as possible, including your password to get into your email. Click here to download a form to capture your family information and/or go to www.familysearch.org and get started putting in your ancestors information. This is a free site. Please come prepared with family information.
- Family names (maiden name for women)
- Birth locations
- Marriage dates and spouse's name
- Date of death and place
- 2222.January.WednesdayHiller MuseumHiller Aviation Museum, Skyway Road, San Carlos, CA, United StatesRegister
Explore the magic of flight at the Hiller Aviation Museum! Discover how aircraft fly with a collection of some 50 historic aircraft. Take on the wind tunnel challenge in the Invention Lab, take the controls of a realistic flight simulator and much more on a family-themed evening of aerial excitement.
Pilots of all ages are welcome to participate. Flight simulation capacity is limited so reserve your ticket. Any unissued tickets will be distributed at check-in on a first-come, first-served basis. We’ll see you there!
- 2323.January.ThursdayCentral Middle School828 Chestnut St, San Carlos, CA 94070, United StatesBuy Tickets
San Carlos Children's Theater presents Footloose. Students from Arroyo School, Mariposa, Charter Learning Center, Central Middle School and Tierra Linda Middle School will perform at Mustang Hall. Checkout the web page at www.sancarloschildrenstheater.com. The play begins Thursday, Janurary 23 and runs through Sunday, January 26. Go to the web site above to purchase your tickets!
The music and dancing will delight the whole family.
- 2424.January.FridayPiacerePiacere Restaurant, 727 Laurel St, San Carlos, CA 94070, United StatesLET THE COMPETITION AND GAMES BEGIN!
Whether you are young or old (or somewhere in between), empty nesters, if you have kids or not, if you are single or not -- you are all part of the San Carlos family.AND if you love trivia and competition, please join us for our Adult Trivia Night at Piacere Restaurant. The event started in 2018, and will be emceed by last year’s fantastic trivia host. Teams will be limited to 5 people. You can come with a team or you can become part of team when you arrive.
We ask that you purchase a small appetizer and/or a drink to support Piacere's donation of the venue on Friday night. Be sure to encourage friends and neighbors who might not otherwise participate. Let’s meet and have some fun.
- 2525.January.SaturdayMembers of the San Carlos Fire Department will allow children of all ages to tour a Fire Truck at the Laurel Street Station. This is at the same location and time as the Family Scavenger Hunt and Family Geocaching events.
Come join the fun as a family to find various geocache treasures all over San Carlos. Meet in front of the San Carlos Museum. REI will again be sponsoring this event, and will bring some GPS units to check out and use….or use your own unit. This is at the same location and time as the Family Scavenger Hunt and Family Firetruck Tour events.
Enjoy a leisurely walk through the downtown area as you search for items in the windows of local merchants listed on the Scavenger Hunt Sheet. Your entire family will share in the fun as you scan windows seeking the hunt objects. The hunt begins at the San Carlos Museum between 10 a.m. and noon. A list of rules and a hunt sheet will be given to each family prior to the start. This is at the same location and time as the Family Firetruck Tour and Family Geocaching events.
Prizes will be awarded to the family with the most correct answers in the following categories: families with children six and younger, seven to 12 years of age and 13 and older. Dust off your magnifying glass and we’ll see you at the museum.