Come enjoy a fun evening with your family and friends. Play a variety of board and card games that are fun, competitive and educational in nature. Local board game players will loan their personal games for play, plus teach and coordinate game playing. Bring games from home to share as well. Gator Games of San Mateo has donated a number of games that will be given out as prizes throughout the evening. (Gator Games discount coupons will be available to those in attendance.)
New this year, we'll have a few new games/events:
- Werewolf -- A live action party game -- Click here to learn more
- Giant Jenga
- Other group games
We are having our annual San Carlos City-Wide Roshambo Contest (Rock, Paper, Scissors), with finals during Family Game Night. The event started in 2012. Both "at-large" finalists and school champions will participate in the finals. Prizes will be awarded. If you are interested in participating in the "at-large" division just come along to Family Game Night and sign-up. Everyone can play -- Kindergarten and above.Rules:
- You and your opponent make a fist with one hand and tap it three times on the fist of the other hand (or another hard surface).
- You and your opponent should both count the strokes out loud.
- On the third tap you and your opponent should both make or “throw” your characterizations of either ROCK, PAPER, or SCISSORS very distinctly, at the exact same time, so there is absolutely no mistake what you threw.
- Winner is awarded 1 point for the winning throw. (Rock dulls/beats scissors, paper covers/beats rock, scissors cuts/beats paper.)
- If you and your opponent “throw” the same character, no points are awarded--try again.
- A player must win two out of three throws to win a game and two games to win the match.
- 1818.January.SaturdayPulgas Ridge Open Space Preserve166 Edmonds Rd, Redwood City, CA 94062, USA
- 1818.January.SaturdayCrestview ParkCrestview Park, Crestview Drive, San Carlos, CA, United StatesCome to Crestview Park to experience the stars.Please arrive before dark. We try to minimize lights in the area, so please park on Crestview Drive. And if you choose to bring a small flashlight, only bring flashlights with a red lens. Dress warmly and wear a hat. And as always...Caution! Please don't touch a telescope without permission; parents, please watch your children.
- 1919.January.SundaySan Carlos Youth Center Gym1001 Chestnut St, San Carlos, CA 94070, USA
Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in the United States. Pickleball is a fun and exciting sport that combines elements of Badminton, Tennis and Ping Pong. It is played on a court the size of a Badminton court, with a low net similar to Tennis, and with what looks like an oversized ping pong paddle and a whiffle ball.
Click here to see the rules.
- 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM: Come learn how to play the game from experienced pickleball players and Parks and Recreation Department Staff
- 10:00 AM to Noon: Practice what you have learned with some fun games
- Come anytime between 9:00 AM and Noon for a great time!
- Your Family--we have all of the equipment you need
- Sponsored by: the San Carlos Parks and Recreation Department and the Parks and Recreation Foundation of San Carlos.
- 1919.January.SundaySan Carlos LibrarySan Carlos Library, Elm Street, San Carlos, CA, USACome celebrate San Carlos' Week of the Family here at the library! This year's event is Happy Birds. The birds' performance is fast-paced and upbeat, and they incorporate more than 25 amazing tricks into the show. Some of the parrots even talk! All ages welcome, but the performance is geared towards K-5th grade
Special thanks to the Friends of the Library for sponsoring this event.
- 2020.January.MondayAll Over TownSan Carlos, CA 94070, USASince its inception in 1999, the Week of the Family Committee has designated the Monday of the week as a time reserved for families to stay at home and do something specifically with their family. It is hoped that reserving a set time each week for family time will become habit-forming. To show their support, when the event is not on a holiday, San Carlos principals have historically declared Monday, as a "No Homework" night.
Family Activity Day is for everyone. You are encouraged to “adopt” friends and neighbors who would enjoy an evening of family activities.
Ideas for things to do as a family:
- Play board or card games
- Get out the family photo album
- Make up a play or story
- Make dinner—everyone contributes a dish
- Make a family calendar
- Read a book aloud (book lists are available at the library)
- Write letters to grandparents or other family members
- Draw or paint a picture
- Learn how to use a compass
- Pull out your old records, tapes, CDs, then listen to and discuss music
- Tell stories from your family history
- Go to the library
- Bake bread
- Start a family journal
- 2020.January.MondayEdgewood Park Education Center10 Old Stage Coach Road, Redwood CityRestrooms and drinking fountains are available there, and all supplies needed will be provided at the Park (trash buckets, gloves, litter grabbers).Volunteers will start at the Ed Center and move through the picnic areas to begin to pick up trash. You’ll then make a 1.5 – 2 mile loop on the trails, learn about the park and finish at the Ed Center by noon.Please wear closed toed shoes, long pants, and long shirts to this event.If possible, please bring a signed volunteer agreement with you to the event.